In 2015, we mark an important moment in the history of the Ljubljana Castle. It is 110 years since, on 16 May 1905, the then Mayor of Ljubljana Ivan Hribar purchased the Ljubljana Castle from the state authorities in the name of the city for the sum of 60,200 crowns. The fortress above the city had been badly damaged in the Easter Earthquake, and by purchasing it the Mayor saved it from further decay. Hribar had great plans for the Ljubljana Castle, which he wanted to convert into the centre of cultural life in the city, with museums, galleries, beautiful rooms with inns, large halls for gatherings and dances, etc. At the same time, he did not overlook the effects of “foreign traffic”, as they called tourism back then. Nonetheless, it was several decades before Hribar’s vision was able to be realised in its entirety.
On the anniversary of the purchase of the castle, from 15 to 17 May, the traditional Castle Days, the fifth in a row, will take place, with a free programme of diverse events suitable for the whole family. Join us for the lively events at the highest point in Ljubljana.
Programme by Days:
15 May 2015:
- Jurček and the Three Rascals, puppet performance by Mini teater (sold out) at 9.30 am and 11.00 am, Palatium
- e-Dragon Tour of the Castle, explorative guided tour at 5.00 pm, gathering point: Info Centre (limited number of places)
- The Magical Middle Ages, exhibition opening in collaboration with the Škofljica Primary School at 6.00 pm, Viewing Tower staircase
- Ivan Hribar, lecture at 7.00 pm, Castle Theatre (limited number of places)
16 May 2015:
- Coffee and Cake with Mayor Hribar, from 10.00 am to 2.00 pm, Castle Courtyard
- Hunt for the Dragon’s Treasure, explorative guided tour at 10.00 am, gathering point: Info Centre (limited number of places - SOLD OUT
- Join the Dragon Crew, guided tour and presentation of the Family Guide to the Ljubljana Castle by Žiga X Gombač and Ivan Mitrevski at 11.00 am, gathering point: Info Centre (limited number of places) - SOLD OUT
- Let’s Take Over the Fortress, creative workshop at 12.00 noon, gathering point: Info Centre (limited number of places) - SOLD OUT
17 May 2015:
- Open Day, from 9.00 am to 8.00 pm, Ljubljana Castle
- Medieval Camp, from 10.00 am to 6.00 pm, Castle Park
- Behind the Nine Mountains, a narrative-music performance at 11.00 am, Estates Hall (limited number of places) - SOLD OUT
- Jurček and the Three Rascals, puppet performance by Mini teater at 5.00 pm, Castle Mini teater Hall (limited number of places) - SOLD OUT
For events with a limited number of places, free tickets will be available at the Info Centre of the Ljubljana Castle and at the lower funicular station from 11 May 2015 until all of the places are taken. Each individual is entitled to a maximum of four free tickets.
We recommend using the funicular railway to attend the Castle Days.