Viewing Tower and Pipers' Tower
With the arrival of the French in 1813, the original defence tower, the Pipers’ Tower, was destroyed (it may in fact have just fallen down from neglect).
The foundations of this tower date from the 15th century, and there was a wall connecting the tower to the Civic Fortress located on the promenade today known as Šance.
In the 15th century, this tower was the main entrance to the Castle Courtyard, as well as providing defence against attacks from the south.
In the former entrance tower between the Estates Hall and the Palatium, the rooms of the castle mistress were arranged on two floors.
Today’s Estates Hall occupies the former living spaces of the provincial governor at the Ljubljana Castle.
The Palatium is the hall in which the provincial governor once held formal receptions and performed other duties of office.
Hribar Hall and Armoury
The Hribar Hall above the Armoury, where the Castle Restaurant is located today, was named after the Ljubljana mayor Ivan Hribar. He received the title of Honorary Citizen of the City of Ljubljana for constructing the city’s waterworks.
Castle Chapel of St George
The Chapel is one of the oldest built parts of the castle. By order of the Emperor, it has since 1489 been dedicated to St George, St Pancras and Empress Helena.
Beneath the Palatium, there is a series of preserved solitary confinement cells, which were renovated in 2011 and combined into the Penitentiary.
The central Castle Courtyard is closed on all sides.
Blue Hall and White Hall
On part of the medieval defence walls, there is today a leaning tract with two halls on the upper floor and a coffee house on the level of the courtyard. The halls were completely renovated in 2014.
The venue was gained during the last renovation, and is situated in the area below the Castle Restaurant. It is notable for its multilevel layout and the interweaving of building materials with the geological structure of the ground.
The Rock Hall was gained during the last renovation, and is situated in the area below the Castle Coffee House. It is notable for its multilevel layout and the interweaving of building materials with the geological structure of the ground.
The tower was named after the robber baron Erasmus Lueger, and archaeologists believe it served as a noble prison.
The Gunpowder Room is located between the Chapel of St George and the Armoury, and is thought to be one of the castle’s first rooms, having been built in the 15th century.
The area of the open-air prison is between the castle wall and a natural rock. The prison is accessible only from the courtyard level, so the prisoners were lowered into the depths with a rope or chain.